David taught history at Tonbridge from 1972-2009. He ran the cricket, was housemaster of Manor and ended his Tonbridge career as Second Master. He has been Chairman of the Old Tonbridgian Society since 2009. In 2011 his book 'A Duty to Serve: Tonbridge School and the 1939-45 War’ was published, and he also leads battlefield tours when asked. An Oxford cricket blue, he has served two terms on the MCC Committee and is also President of the Yellowhammers CC, a club founded in 1909 by and for Old Tonbridgians.
After leaving Ferox Hall in 1961 John went up to Trinity Hall, Cambridge, where he read Law and also obtained an LLB. Having qualified as a solicitor with Allen & Overy he joined the staff at Tonbridge in 1969 where he has taught Latin, English and Business Studies. On his arrival he was a resident tutor in Park House under David Kemp, and subsequently became housemaster. A Cambridge rugby blue, he also played in the centre for Kent and Harlequin FC. He ran the rugby at Tonbridge for several years and was also Assistant Secretary of the Quins.
Rupert ‘Paddy’ Butler was in School House between 1978 and 1983 under Jack Ind and David Robbins. Afterwards he studied law at Manchester University, before being called to the Bar in 1988. He now practices from the Chambers of James Dingemans QC, in the Temple, along with his former classmate Howard Stevens (WW 1978 – 83). Paddy specialises in sport and media law, as well as corporate insolvency and asset recovery. He lives in East Malling with his wife and two daughters, who attend the Schools at Somerhill in Tonbridge.
Philip Cheveley was in Parkside from 1984 to 1989. Having studied Modern Languages (Spanish and French) at the University of Cambridge, he embarked on a career as a City solicitor. He is now a partner at Travers Smith LLP specializing in cross-border mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance generally. Married with two children, Philip lives in Sevenoaks and, when time permits, is a keen follower of rugby, an enthusiastic runner and an occasional golfer.
Jeremy was in Hill Side from 1997-2002. He then went to Edinburgh University in 2002 where after a year’s exchange with McGill University, Montreal, he obtained a 1st in History. Having completed his training contract at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP, he has practised as an associate for a year, working in their "Antitrust, Competition & Trade" department. His interests are skiing, running, cycling, and music (mostly listening nowadays).
Andrew left Tonbridge in 1995 and, after four years at university, went on to work in the Sports Management Industry. 2 years later Andrew moved into the Insurance market, where he has worked for the likes of Marsh & McLennan, AXA Insurance and is now Head of Sales and Distribution at AXA Art Insurance. Andrew is married to Lene and has three young boys. Whilst juggling family life he tries to find time to play for the OT Squash Society, as well as maintain his golf handicap of 5.
After five years in Manor House (1973-78), Peter read History at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge and initially worked in a leading City bank as an investment manager. He is now a barrister in Lincoln’s Inn, specialising in commercial Chancery work (in particular, property, financial services and professional negligence). Peter had a busy 2011, appearing on stage at the Tricycle Theatre as counsel for the prosecution in a production of Judgment at Nuremberg (in which the main parts were taken by legal professionals) and devising 1711 Walk, a route linking twelve of London’s finest Baroque churches which was a “Critics’ Choice” in Time Out. Peter has had two articles published on an intriguing but little known OT, William Woodfall (1771-1806) who, before becoming Chief Justice of Cape Breton, wrote a treatise on landlord and tenant law which, in its modern form, is thought to be the oldest legal text book still in publication. Peter is also the honorary legal adviser to the British Georgian Society and a regular visitor to Tbilisi.
After Tonbridge (Sc 1973-78) and Magdalene College, Cambridge, Andrew had a short career with Christie’s, the auctioneers, cataloguing paintings. Thereafter he spent some time in Munich learning German, in preparation for marriage, and then returned to Tonbridge in 1985 to teach English, something he has done ever since. Four children followed, and ten fulfilling years were spent as Housemaster of School House. He is now Upper Master at the school, and he and Philippa live happily at 1 Bourne Lane, Gifford Wood’s erstwhile address. They have a couple of shacks and a large oak wood in the Loire; he still collects the occasional work of art, and, like Gifford, he has an interest in the wines of France.
Richard Hough (PH 1979-84) studied Law at Durham University after leaving Tonbridge. He has spent his entire career as a solicitor at Allen & Overy LLP, where he is a partner in the Corporate Department. He is also responsible for the firm's graduate recruitment programme. Outside work, Richard is a keen golfer and a member of Walton Heath GC. His other interests include wine, cycling and supporting Rosslyn Park FC. He is married with three children.
Chris was in Hill Side 1987-92, after which he went to Durham University, where he read Combined Arts. He is now a solicitor in a private practice in West London, and is married with a little daughter Lucy. Spare time is spent mostly playing with Lucy, with some golf as well. He feels very fortunate to have been a member of the OT golf side that has done well at the Halford Hewitt over a number of years, which is an inspiration to keep practising.
Phillip was in School House from 1962-66 and is now a partner in firm of accountants specialising in the visual arts - galleries, artists etc. He lives in West London, and has two grown up children and two grandchildren dangerously approaching baby-sitting age.
After five years in Parkside, Richard left Tonbridge in 1997 and after university embarked on a career in commercial property. After a short period working for a firm of Chartered Surveyors in the West End, a change of direction was called for. He joined the Army and was commissioned into the 9th/12th Royal Lancers, seeing service in the UK, Cyprus, Germany and Bosnia. On leaving the army in 1998 he studied for an MBA at Cass Business School in London, subsequently working in investment management. He now works for Newton Investment Management advising foundations, charities and institutional clients on their investment portfolios. Richard is a liveryman of the Drapers’ Company in the City and still turns out, occasionally, for OT shooting and golf society fixtures. He is married with two daughters and so does not have to worry about paying Tonbridge fees!
Paul was in Welldon House from 1955-60, and then went on to read Classics at Trinity College, Dublin. He was assistant master at Bishop's Stortford College from 1966-70, and at King's School, Worcester, from 1970-2006. His principal recreation is music and he is still an active member (just) of Great Witley Operatic Society, Worcester Cathedral Voluntary Choir, and Worcestershire Symphony Orchestra.
Neil was in Judde House from 1957-1962, and joined the Committee in 1964, when he was the Oxford member. He was the OT Dinner Secretary many years ago, but very happily John Gibbs took over this role for a much longer stint! He has kept in touch with the School through being a member of the Court of the Skinners' Company since 1983, the School's Honorary Treasurer for ten years and a Governor for twenty years. He is now enjoying retirement from corporate finance, having been Managing Director of 3i Corporate Finance for the last twenty years of his working life. He is a past Captain of the OT Golfing Society and still enjoys his golf. He lives in London and Singapore.